Finally! We have a way for you to sign up for some of the first shifts! We will add additional shifts as we sort out who is leading which activities. There are 5 tabs right now:
- weekday house building (starting Wednesday)
- weekend house building (starting this weekend)
- working at 304 N 3rd Street to get ready for 5 transition houses (this weekend)
- working at 1901 Aberg Ave to build the fence, so we can install the electricity so we can move the newly built houses to the site (Nov 14 & 15)
- accepting donations for the new village (Nov 14 & 15)
We will be adding more shifts and we’ll notify you when we do. If you would like to volunteer
for an activity that is not on this list
, let us know! We will be following up with several folks today who had specific offers, but if you don’t hear from us, feel free to nudge!
Also, donations of food and drinks for the volunteers would be greatly appreciated! You can drop donations off a the sites during the work shifts.
Thank you for helping us make this a reality!
The Occupy Family
Occupy Madison is honoring our roots and working on ways we can creatively use our assets to support the community by filling gaps to support people in need. Occupy Madison remains open as long as none of our residents are sick but we are exercising the following precautions to protect our family and community members:
- Our store is closed except for online sales.
- We have suspended tours of the village and potlucks.
- Volunteers to care for the plants are welcome at the village unless any resident objects.
- Shop shifts are determined by the individual shop managers, shifts are limited to 4 people. Shifts will be suspended upon request of any resident.
- Spray down toilets and sinks before and after use
- Regularly cleaning door handles and surfaces
- No more than 10 people in the store, shop and public outdoor areas.
- Use Google hangouts for all meetings, in person visits allowed unless or until residents object
- If a resident gets infected by COVID19, the following procedures will be followed:
- Designate a bathroom for people with COVID19
- Plan to bring food to the person who has to stay in their house
- Residents will send Brenda their emergency contacts.
For more information on how we are filling gaps, please see our GMM and Board Meeting notes.
Save the Date! Volunteers needed! We will be planting the first seeds next Sunday noon – 3 at the village. Email email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering! If you can’t make it next Sunday, we still need volunteers to water and repot seedlings as they grow!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!! We are currently seeking volunteers for two upcoming projects.
STORE HOURS – The first is that we want to have more regular store hours and we are looking for people to take regular shifts – once or twice a month, or every week. These shifts would be making sure our store is open regular hours. Right now we are looking for 5-8 Tuesday and Thursday and noon – 4 Saturday and Sunday. Other hours may be available if those don’t work for you.
PLANT SALE – We are also looking for volunteers to help with our plant sale. We need help with planting seeds, repotting plants and watering. No need to have a green thumb, we’re work you in to the rotation and show you the ropes!
If you are interested in either of these opportunities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OM Build Volunteers on Facebook.
We have a fiber arts community event in the Village!
If you have a project you want to finish or want to start a new one,
If you have always wanted to learn how to knit or crochet,
If it has been a while and you want to try fiber arts again,
For any fiber reason at all, please join us!
OM Village Fiber Arts Circle
Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
304 N 3rd Street
Madison, WI 53704
Facebook event: Click here
We have changed our monthly potlucks to the same day as the General Membership Meeting which is held the 2nd Sunday of every month at 5 p.m. CST. Feel free to come early if you would like to help set up. Potlucks are open to the public and OM membership is not required.
Holiday sale and silent auction Dec 2 offers unique gifts while addressing homelessness
Madison-area residents can be part of a ho-ho-homegrown solution to homelessness this holiday season!
The OM Build – OM Village Tiny Homes: Occupy Madison, Inc holiday sale and silent auction will run one day:
Sunday, December 2 from 11 am to 3 pm
at OM Village, 304 North Third Street in Madison.
Raging Grannies will perform holiday tunes at 1 pm and Mike Winckler will sing folk songs at 11:15.
The sale will feature a wide variety of unique holiday gifts made by OM residents and volunteers, including Wisconsin-shaped cutting boards, holiday ornaments, holiday trees from reclaimed wood, handmade rolling pins, jewelry, decorative magnets, potted plants … and more!
The silent auction will include fabulous items from local businesses and artists… and more!
Shoppers at the OM Village Holiday Sale will enjoy refreshments and take tours of the OM Village Tiny Homes, 98 square foot residences that allow formerly homeless community members to enjoy warmth, safety and privacy in a supportive community on Madison’s east side. OM Village remains the only village of formerly homeless people to be integrated into a residential community in the entire United States.
Since Occupy Madison’s founding in 2011 and OM Village’s opening in 2014, the nonprofit has gained support from neighbors and admirers across the country and around the world. The proceeds from the OM Holiday Sale will go towards completion of the village, which includes adding community space, a kitchen and four more Tiny Homes.
For the third year, OM Build will have the Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice (WNPJ) Peace Wreath Workshop in the shop. See announcement below.
2017 Peace Wreath announcement
Calendar of all OM events.
We have expanded our Store Hours until the first of the year:
- Monday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Tuesday: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Wednesday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Thursday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Sunday: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Schedule and other Events