Occupy Madison is honoring our roots and working on ways we can creatively use our assets to support the community by filling gaps to support people in need. Occupy Madison remains open as long as none of our residents are sick but we are exercising the following precautions to protect our family and community members:
- Our store is closed except for online sales.
- We have suspended tours of the village and potlucks.
- Volunteers to care for the plants are welcome at the village unless any resident objects.
- Shop shifts are determined by the individual shop managers, shifts are limited to 4 people. Shifts will be suspended upon request of any resident.
- Spray down toilets and sinks before and after use
- Regularly cleaning door handles and surfaces
- No more than 10 people in the store, shop and public outdoor areas.
- Use Google hangouts for all meetings, in person visits allowed unless or until residents object
- If a resident gets infected by COVID19, the following procedures will be followed:
- Designate a bathroom for people with COVID19
- Plan to bring food to the person who has to stay in their house
- Residents will send Brenda their emergency contacts.
For more information on how we are filling gaps, please see our GMM and Board Meeting notes.
Holiday sale and silent auction Dec 2 offers unique gifts while addressing homelessness
Madison-area residents can be part of a ho-ho-homegrown solution to homelessness this holiday season!
The OM Build – OM Village Tiny Homes: Occupy Madison, Inc holiday sale and silent auction will run one day:
Sunday, December 2 from 11 am to 3 pm
at OM Village, 304 North Third Street in Madison.
Raging Grannies will perform holiday tunes at 1 pm and Mike Winckler will sing folk songs at 11:15.
The sale will feature a wide variety of unique holiday gifts made by OM residents and volunteers, including Wisconsin-shaped cutting boards, holiday ornaments, holiday trees from reclaimed wood, handmade rolling pins, jewelry, decorative magnets, potted plants … and more!
The silent auction will include fabulous items from local businesses and artists… and more!
Shoppers at the OM Village Holiday Sale will enjoy refreshments and take tours of the OM Village Tiny Homes, 98 square foot residences that allow formerly homeless community members to enjoy warmth, safety and privacy in a supportive community on Madison’s east side. OM Village remains the only village of formerly homeless people to be integrated into a residential community in the entire United States.
Since Occupy Madison’s founding in 2011 and OM Village’s opening in 2014, the nonprofit has gained support from neighbors and admirers across the country and around the world. The proceeds from the OM Holiday Sale will go towards completion of the village, which includes adding community space, a kitchen and four more Tiny Homes.
Hello from OM Village!
We are currently in need of experienced woodworkers or people familiar with power tools to function as Shop Managers on various days and times.
The Shop Manager ensures safe operation of tools and advises 2 – 6 volunteers on projects. For more information, see Shop Manager Criteria, Shop Manager Responsibilities, Shop Handbook, and Shop Rules. If you are interested in becoming a Shop Manager for one of the 4 shifts, please email us.
We could still use some volunteers to help make items for the Village Store, designing flyers, sewing (items to sell in the store), planning, and numerous other activities. To see current events you can participate in, visit our Meetings and Events page and fill out the form, or send us an email.
Thanks in advance!
We have expanded our Store Hours until the first of the year:
- Monday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Tuesday: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Wednesday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Thursday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Sunday: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Schedule and other Events