Thanks to everyone who has volunteered or offered donations during the past month! And thank you for being patient while we get things organized.
We have lots of exciting news!!!
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED IN 3.5 WEEKS
On September 30th we learned from our realtor Clint Otto (eXp Realty) that our offer to purchase Wiggies Bar at 1901 Aberg Avenue was accepted. In the past 3.5 weeks we have:
- Raised over $50,000 (over 450 donors)
- Over 50 people have indicated they want to volunteer
- Over 60 people have volunteered to help with donations of goods (Thanks to Chris Odt for organizing!)
- Received Temporary Zoning (through June 1) approval through the City Council
- Built a tiny house and had Fire Department, Building Inspection and Zoning inspect it. Ordered supplies for 4 more houses (will be here on Thursday)
- Have a resolution going through the county board for a $200,000 grant
- Worked with Bachman Construction and their subs (Hill Electric, Perzborn Plumbing and Harker Heating and Cooling), the architect Ed Kuharski and surveyer (Isthmus Surveying) to be able to start construction the week of November 9th.
- Worked with One Community Bank and the appraiser (Masters-Hall) to get a bank loan to close between November 6th and the 10th
- Are entering into a lease with Common Wealth Development ($1/mo!!! Thank you!!!) for space to build the tinier houses
- Had 12 people go through orientation (limited to 6 per week) for the tiny houses and have added 6 people as members who qualify to apply for a tiny house.
It seems nothing short of a miracle that everyone has come together to make this project happen and we couldn’t be more grateful for this community cooperation and support!
The next steps for the project are:
- Get the leased shop set up and ready for volunteers (Volunteers start Monday Nov. 2nd – watch for an email Friday or Saturday)
- Closing on the property (November 6 – 10), prep the building for construction
- Construction starts by Wednesday, November 10th
- Build the fence (Weekend of November 14th and 15th)
- Build a communications/admin team
- Continued fundraising
- Go Fund Me
- On-line store set up
- On-line auction set up
- Sales of items from Wiggies Bar
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO GET INVOLVED?
If you are received an email that means that we have you on our radar screen and we are thankful for your patience with us! If you did not receive an email but want to volunteer, email us at email@example.com
Administrative Assistance (Fundraising, Admin, Communications, Donation Coordination)
We have lots of people who have volunteered to do administrative things, which we need! I will be contacting them this week to set up administrative assistance so you all will be getting more regular updates.
Building the Houses
- Our goal is to have the people who will be living in the houses help build the houses. So they will be signing up first.
- Our second shift of people to sign up is for people who might want to be a shift manager or people with special construction skills. (This week)
- And then we will start getting everyone else (Mid-week next week)
Donations of Items
Right now we have no space for donations, however, we will by next week. Please continue to be patient while we work things out!
Thank you for your continued interest in this exciting project and for your continued patience. We are excited that with so many volunteers and supporters we may be able to complete this project by the end of the year. We will be in touch shortly! In the meantime, if you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Occupy Family!