Finally! We have a way for you to sign up for some of the first shifts! We will add additional shifts as we sort out who is leading which activities. There are 5 tabs right now:
- weekday house building (starting Wednesday)
- weekend house building (starting this weekend)
- working at 304 N 3rd Street to get ready for 5 transition houses (this weekend)
- working at 1901 Aberg Ave to build the fence, so we can install the electricity so we can move the newly built houses to the site (Nov 14 & 15)
- accepting donations for the new village (Nov 14 & 15)
We will be adding more shifts and we’ll notify you when we do. If you would like to volunteer
for an activity that is not on this list
, let us know! We will be following up with several folks today who had specific offers, but if you don’t hear from us, feel free to nudge!
Also, donations of food and drinks for the volunteers would be greatly appreciated! You can drop donations off a the sites during the work shifts.
Thank you for helping us make this a reality!
The Occupy Family
Occupy Madison is honoring our roots and working on ways we can creatively use our assets to support the community by filling gaps to support people in need. Occupy Madison remains open as long as none of our residents are sick but we are exercising the following precautions to protect our family and community members:
- Our store is closed except for online sales.
- We have suspended tours of the village and potlucks.
- Volunteers to care for the plants are welcome at the village unless any resident objects.
- Shop shifts are determined by the individual shop managers, shifts are limited to 4 people. Shifts will be suspended upon request of any resident.
- Spray down toilets and sinks before and after use
- Regularly cleaning door handles and surfaces
- No more than 10 people in the store, shop and public outdoor areas.
- Use Google hangouts for all meetings, in person visits allowed unless or until residents object
- If a resident gets infected by COVID19, the following procedures will be followed:
- Designate a bathroom for people with COVID19
- Plan to bring food to the person who has to stay in their house
- Residents will send Brenda their emergency contacts.
For more information on how we are filling gaps, please see our GMM and Board Meeting notes.
We have a fiber arts community event in the Village!
If you have a project you want to finish or want to start a new one,
If you have always wanted to learn how to knit or crochet,
If it has been a while and you want to try fiber arts again,
For any fiber reason at all, please join us!
OM Village Fiber Arts Circle
Sunday, January 12, 2020 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
304 N 3rd Street
Madison, WI 53704
Facebook event: Click here
Hello from OM Village!
We are currently in need of experienced woodworkers or people familiar with power tools to function as Shop Managers on various days and times.
The Shop Manager ensures safe operation of tools and advises 2 – 6 volunteers on projects. For more information, see Shop Manager Criteria, Shop Manager Responsibilities, Shop Handbook, and Shop Rules. If you are interested in becoming a Shop Manager for one of the 4 shifts, please email us.
We could still use some volunteers to help make items for the Village Store, designing flyers, sewing (items to sell in the store), planning, and numerous other activities. To see current events you can participate in, visit our Meetings and Events page and fill out the form, or send us an email.
Thanks in advance!
Treater, recent owner of The Centipede at Occupy Madison, Inc, took it to its new home in Oregon, WI today:
We have completed our 3rd week of weaving class!
A loom was donated over the summer and a member of OMI reached out to the Madison Weavers Guild. One of the weavers has been generous with her time and teaching the classes. We plan on making dresser runners, scarves, handbags, blankets and possibly plastic mats. We are also figuring out how to use old fabrics to cut into weaving material.
We currently have room for one more student, but the current students hope to be teaching classes to anyone interested in the next couple of months.
We have expanded our Store Hours until the first of the year:
- Monday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Tuesday: 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Wednesday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Thursday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 12 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Sunday: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Schedule and other Events